Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Star Citizen: Playing with Myself

I got into Star Citizen to play with friends. No Doubt. The fact that this game allows me the opportunity to go into space with my friends was the entire point of focus for getting involved in the first place. I would not have invested more money if this was just going to be a strictly "solo" experience.

The idea of riding a wormhole and emerging the other side with my friends facing an unknown system for the first time, all sharing that experience together, ignited the fire. However, it is worth noting that the experiences we have on our own in the verse, even now in Alpha, are what keep the flames fanned.

I find myself saying this a lot, "It is hard to describe this..." followed by an hour-long attempt at explaining myself. Having said that, it really is hard to explain this, but I love the simple pleasure and joy I get out of "Space Trucking" by myself.

Picking some random location on some far-flung moon, landing under less than perfect conditions in the dust and wind. It felt oddly very real, walking down the ramp of my Freelancer to take on a load of Tungsten for trading. 



Crusader was just rising in the distance and it was still fairly dark out when I took on my payload. My ever trusty Space Truckin' Playlist on Spotify playing Billy Thorpes Children of the Sun as I fired up the engines and pointed the nose straight up before giving her the juice and lifting off. Breaking atmosphere, directing the ship to an Orbital marker to get around the Martian-like moon. Set a course for Port Olisar and left the red moon of Daymar in the dust.

Landing on the port I see a host of other ships. The station appears to be teaming with life. I see fighters like the Hornet and Saber, freighters like my Freelancer and other cargo vessels like Starfareres and Catipillars. Avengers, Aurors, Mustangs, and one crazy ass Dragonfly attempting to slalom the pilings on the giant rotating wheels on Olisar, and failing. Eventually ending up a small impact of random parts and a tiny explosion. Amidst the circus, I call for clearance and land on my assigned pad. 

I have the option to exit out the side of my Freelancer. Through a door that opens to a ladder that lowers. When I exit in this fashion my ship secures tightly behind me without thought or effort on my part. I do not use that option with cargo. Seeing the cargo you are hauling before you in clearly marked shipping containers...piled high to the ceiling and you see every bit of space that can be used, filled with cargo. An odd sense of pride knowing that you just flew it a tens of thousands of kilometers across pirate-infested space. So I exit out the ramp so I can walk past my cargo and maybe...just maybe show it off a little for those with prying eyes. 



Once my cargo is sold and I am back on board I decided to take a more challenging, expensive, and risky cargo. I was going to haul some Medical supplies form Cellin to Grim Hex. I had a hunch that the cutthroats and vagrants at Grim Hex might benefit from a run of supplies. Basically, I was going to be going into the lion's den to see if they needed a thorn taken out of their paw. Only instead of being a mouse, I was going in as a big, fat, juicy steak. Prime cut, Freelancer medium rare is every pirate favorite. Especially laden with cargo. After all, they would not have to travel far to sell what they get off my destroyed ship and over my dead body.

Star Citizen is all about Risk and reward.The pirate takes a risk jumping me...maybe I have friends or maybe I am not a bad pilot. I take the risk jumping along a known trade route that will be surely watched by those with nefarious intentions. I can mitigate the risk of pirates by taking longer routes and going with others watching my back. However its 2am in Montana and "No Sleep till Brooklyn" is on the playlist. I am alone on this leg of the trip for sure, but I am also tired and making decisions based on haste rather than security and safety.

After all what sort of gambler would I be unless I was willing to bet the farm once in a while? On this run of medical supplies, I had done something I preach to others, never to do. I placed all my eggs in one basket and said...fuck it... let's roll the dice. I spent almost every dime I had to have a full load of Medical Supplies. So everything I have is riding on this trip. What would Mike D do? He would demand my respect.

Which is exactly what I am sure that group of pirates that Interdicted me had in mind. It was my cash and my jewelry that they expect. Now I know with the current state of the game being interdicted is more of an annoyance than anything, but I was in a server that had the interdictions better managed and It was the first time in many hours it had happened. Normally I think most players just wait for the cooldown, press B and fly on to their destination. I know I do...especially when it was well past my bedtime and I was already risking it all. I say normally, but this was not normal. I was caught up in the moment.

The soundtrack going on in my headphones, being a little more tired than normal I sort of gave into temptation and let myself be a kid again. 

"Looks like trouble...PIRATES!" I say to myself and to the Co-pilot, my 95 pound Boxer, Bubba. He, of course, is snoring like a wild beast on the couch. I now felt more like the Snowman with Fred in Smokey and the Bandit...and them Bears were thick as bugs on the bumper. I decided to slug it out with them, it was time for them to know who the Snowman is yes the Jerry Reed intensified. I was East Bound and Down. 



It was the first time I got the try the combat out on the latest 3.0.1 patch. I figured having a fight that meant something rather than just an arbitrary mission or random fight was a better field test. Probably not the best gambles when you are closing in on a Drake Cutlass and Buccaneer in support of a Caterpillar, in a Lone Freelancer filled to the brim with profit. The cat kept her distance but I closed on the fighters, the violence of action had to be mine despite the enemy taking the initiative. 

I close to missile range and get a quick lock on the Cutlass. I let 3 fly and break off as the Buccaneer comes into my gun range. I get a couple hits on him before he is able to get well away from my gimbles range and crafts maneuverability. My missiles track and It appears 2 hit the Cutlass destroying it in a huge fireball.

"Huh, So missiles work..." Bubba snores in approval.

I focus all attention now to the Buccaneer as it makes attempts to fly circles around my Freelancer. Now Mind you I am not the best pilot, but neither was he, and he gave me an opportunity at a rear aspect shot, at close range. I press down my guns and very quickly I watch his shield go down, parts fly off, fire, flames, explosion, killed.

"Holy SHIT the new combat is nice!"

Of course, I am still closing on the burning remains of the Buccaneer and not slowing down. My ship was already damaged slightly in the fray and my shields were being damaged now by the Caterpillar I was trying to ignore as a threat. I make movements to avoid collision knowing full well I can fly right through it, but not willing to lose the immersion now. I nose down, giving the Cat a good target and it sheers off the left side, losing me an engine.

I point my nose at her midsection and fire every remaining missile I have on hand and let loose with my guns. That Catapilar was no more, it had ceased to be. I blew that son of a bitch out of the water with a full broadside to her midsection and broke her back. I then pointed my way back to Olisar. To sell my cargo and call it a night.

Satisfied with my victory I press B and hear the Quantum drive spool up and I am soon told there is yet another emergency and that my quantum travel would be canceled. Interdicted again. Immersion be dammed it was bedtime, that last fight was cool and all but I lost an engine playing Maverick out there so its time to go buzz the tower and head home. It was time for business as usual, I pressed B and headed on back to Olisar. My plans of selling my cargo at Grim Hex were changed by fatigue, a fight, and a damaged ship...I rolled the dice and decided to just sell where it was safe. I still managed to make a good profit, but what an experience. 



The immersion is there, you just have to be willing to allow the magic in and let it do its thing. Once it takes root its hard to not see it, and soon you will find yourself alone or with friends, truly feeling like you are part of the verse. I love it, and cannot wait to experience more! 









2 comments:

  1. I love your writing Shack! Great stuff! Stay safe out in the 'verse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I need to get some more done and soon!

      Delete

Captains Blog: I love this Community!

I had something happen to me in a video game that I did not expect...Someone recognized me. When I say that it might not seem all ...